Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's Time To Fast

Since May, the Lord has been leading me to begin a time of fast and prayer for my healing. Many of you know that Tony (my BIL & Pastor) and I have had numerous conversations regarding this. We want to make sure that if this is how God leads us then the giving, fasting, and praying is done with a sincere heart and attitude. We also want to make sure that anything we do will give Glory only to God, so that God is Honored, not me, a church, a doctor, a person or a building…just Christ the Almighty Savior.

Many of you have asked, “if you fast or pray please let me know, because I would love to blah, blah, blah.” I am going to share with you how the Lord is leading me. But I need to be extremely clear on the following items. I apologize if you find my language uncomfortable.

Number 1 - If you do not feel spiritually lead by God to participate in this fast, THEN DON’T. I know you might mean well, but if your purpose by participating is to encourage me, please, please don’t. We fast for both corporate and private reasons, but I do not want anyone fasting for my encouragement. I only want people to participate in this time of ‘give, fast, pray’ who are being lead in that direction by God Almighty specifically for the manifestation of my healing. If you are feeling lead to be supportive then please continue to pray in the way that you have been…for my complete physical healing but not as a part of this fast. If God has not lead you to fast at this time, this might be an opportunity for you to study scriptural fasting – both Old & New Testaments. If you are interested in fasting materials, check with your pastor or local Christian Book Store.

Number 2 - When you pray, please pray for the complete physical restoration of my body where my manifested healing will be made known explicitly. If you don’t feel you have that type of faith, then please don’t pray. One of the scriptures I believe that God has given me during this time is found in Mark 5 and Jesus says "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace and be healed of your affliction." (NASB). I believe that I have already been healed of this cancer and this waiting time is the ‘proofing’. I am simply waiting for the healing that God has given me to be made manifested physically.

So with all the caveats…here is our “Give, Fast, Pray” Beginning on Sunday

We will be fasting our evening/supper meal every night. We are doing this because we know that Jesus fasted because He knew that there were some supernatural things that could only be released through denying our body what it wants. Once we begin to show more control over our private lives then it becomes easier for God to see what the real desires of our hearts are. (Jentenzen Franklin) When we make a mistake, we will simply, repent, go back to where we were and begin again.

We will spend time specifically praying for things during this time of “Give, Fast, Pray." The first thing we will pray for is Unity in the Body of Christ. This is an area that the church has been struggling with around the world. It doesn’t matter your denomination, it matters your desire to serve Christ first, recognize and support the other Followers of Christ rather than competing against one another. The second portion of prayer will be dedicated to the complete restoration and healing of the physical body I now have…that includes a brand new gallbladder. (And just as an aside, when I was having that procedure done on Wed I asked the Dr if my gallbladder was there yet. He told me it had been surgically removed. I told the Dr. I knew that, but since I was praying for a new one I just thought he might check while I was in the CT machine.)

Even though I’ve added some restrictions with some of the participation, I would love for every one who feels able to pray, to pray these two prayers each day…

1. The first thing we will pray for is Unity in the Body of Christ. This is an area that the church has been struggling with around the world. It doesn’t matter your denomination, it matters your desire to serve Christ first, recognize and support the other Followers of Christ rather than competing against one another.

2. The second portion of prayer will be dedicated to the complete restoration and healing of the physical body I now have…that includes a brand new gallbladder.

Blessings!
G (& the Poor BIL)

PS We are not teaching a class, setting up rules for others to follow, or are volunteering to spear-head a fasting accountability group. We are going to 'give, fast, pray' in the way we just outlined to the best of our ability in Christ for as long as we feel led. So that might mean 8 weeks, 4 months, or whatever. We are not putting an end date on God, rather we are letting Him know that we plan to follow His lead until He tells us otherwise. If you feel lead to do this, or something similar, please check out your 'rules' with God, not us. Does that make sense???

1 comment:

Gee, said...

Your language wasn't uncomfortable, it was honest, thank you! I am praying about it as I do not want to do this and not be in the right place, nor do I want to miss out on this beautiful plan if I am supposed to be a part of it. I will be in touch and please know, no matter how I am led, I am here for you and in your corner supporting & praying with you!!
Love and Prayers,
GL